Planet Earth, July 5, 2019: The second week of our #ClimateStrikeSummer has arrived, and this week we will be striking against industries and companies. During this week we are calling on corporate leaders to step up and address the climate crisis with their actions. Currently, the media focuses primarily on the damage corporations can expect to their bottom line because of the climate crisis. We assert that this perspective is incorrect; we must focus on the damage corporations are doing to the climate system and planet.
This strike is a part of week two of eight of the #ClimateStrikeSummer campaign and will demonstrate that the youth are demanding system change, NOT climate change, from the greatest contributors to the climate crisis in modern society.
Here is WHO we will be striking against, WHEN we will be doing it, and WHERE are doing it. We only included a list of some of the bigger strikes this Friday; this is NOT a comprehensive list. The list is ordered alphabetically by city, and times are listed in the cities’ respective time zones. We will update this as new strikes get added:
- Time: 2 PM – 4 PM
- Location: Boston Common
- What: Friday we meet in Boston Common to educate park-goers on the importance of being knowledgeable about how a corporation affects the environment. Just 100 companies are responsible for 71% of global emissions. As an economic hub it is important for us in Boston to understand the extent of damage these corporations have. Want to learn more? Meet us at Boston Common this Friday and from 2 PM – 4 PM we will tell you all about it!
Los Angeles, California:
- Time: 12 PM – 1:30 PM
- Location: Chevron at El Segundo Refinery (201 W Segundo Blvd, El Segundo CA)
- What: We’re starting off with the corporate strike this coming Friday! Chevron makes so much money screwing over locals like the lovely people of El Segundo, where they have their refinery. Join us there as we #Climatestrike to show them we don’t stand for it, and that we want them OUT. Make sure to follow @climatestrike.la , who we are proud to partner with for this strike. Don’t forget your water bottle, sunscreen, and your best sign
- Time: 10 AM – 12 PM
- Location: Dennis the Menace Park 2201 W Indiana Ave
- What: This week’s strikes bring awareness to the damage industries are doing to the climate system. During this week we are calling on corporate leaders to step up and address the climate crisis with their actions. We will meet up at Dennis the Menace Park! Learn about Earth Uprising, the Fridays For Future Movement, and discover the power you have to demand change. Bring posters, water, snacks, energy, and your friends!
New York City, New York:
- Time: 12 PM – 2 PM
- Location: Forever 21 in Times Square
- What: This Friday we will be striking against the fast fashion industry; it is detrimental to the environment and most importantly unsustainable. The fast fashion industry needs to be put to an end. As appealing it is to millennials, it is destroying the environment. Clothing stores such as Forever 21 are profiting off of the uneducated consumer, we need to change that. Reusing, up-cycling and shopping second hand is the best way to go. Come out on Friday and show the fast fashion industry that we are not buying into it anymore.
San Francisco, California:
- Time: 9 AM – 12 PM
- Location: In front of the San Francisco Ferry Building
- What: The youth of San Francisco, led by our City Coordinator Sarah Goody, will strike in solidarity with the other strikers around the US and globe in spreading their message.
St. Paul, Minnesota:
- Time: 11 AM – 1 PM
- Location: Minnesota State Capitol
- What: We are working on lobbying, showing up and celebrating together, and so on!
More information about Earth Uprising is available on our website.