Planet Earth, July 11, 2019: The third week of our #ClimateStrikeSummer has arrived, and this week we will be striking against systems of oppression that led to the climate crisis. This week’s strikes will call out the systems of oppression that enabled the climate crisis. We are partnering with This is Zero Hour for this strike.
The weekend of this strike, This is Zero Hour will convene their International Youth Climate Summit in Miami, Florida. This historic summit is also intended to create awareness of the local effects of the climate crisis, and the deeply rooted structural systems in society that have caused it. More information about This is Zero Hour and their Miami Summit is available on their website.
This strike is a part of week three of eight of the #ClimateStrikeSummer campaign and will demonstrate that the youth are demanding system change, NOT climate change, from the greatest contributors to the climate crisis in modern society.
Here is WHO we will be striking against, WHEN we will be doing it, and WHERE are doing it. We only included a list of some of the bigger strikes this Friday; this is NOT a comprehensive list. The list is ordered alphabetically by city, and times are listed in the cities’ respective time zones. We will update this as new strikes get added:
- Time: 2 pm – 4 pm
- Location: Boston Public Gardens
- What: This week we will sit in Boston Public Gardens and educate the public on the dangers of the relation between climate change and capitalism. Over the course of two hours we will go through the very fundamentals of this relationship. Interested? Good, we’ll see you Friday!
- Time: 11 am – 1 pm
- Location: Chicago City Hall (121 N LaSalle St, Chicago, IL 60602)
- What: This will be our first strike for #ClimateStrikeSummer! We will be protesting against the systems of oppression that enabled the climate crisis (racism, capitalism, colonialism…) and we will be demanding that Chicago, like NYC, Los Angeles, and other cities, declare a climate emergency. Join us and bring your friends (+ a sign and water)!
- Time: 2:40 pm – 3:30 pm
- Location: Miami City Hall, 3500 Pan American Dr
- What: On July 12th, the Zero Hour youth will have their Kickoff event for the Youth Climate Summit, along with a series of other actions taking place throughout the day that have been co-organized with local Florida climate organizations such as Fridays For Future Miami, Extinction Rebellion Florida, One Tree Planted, and TREEmendous, with the goal of pushing the Miami government to declare a climate emergency. The July 12th Die In will take place at Miami City Hall, 3500 Pan American Dr. and will begin at 2:40 pm and end at 3:30 pm. The event is co-organized with Fridays For Future Miami and Extinction Rebellion Florida. A series of speakers will be featured from the three organizations along with chants.
- Time: 12 pm – 1 pm
- Location: 300 N Loraine St
- What: This week’s strike will call out the systems of oppression that enabled the climate crisis. Join us in Midland in front of City Hall this Friday! Connect with teens and discover the power you have to demand change. Bring water, posters, and your friends!
New York City, New York:
- Time: 9 am – 11 am
- Location: In Front of the UN Headquarters
- What: Join our founder, Alexandria Villaseñor, and New York youth as they strike in front of the UN every week.
St. Paul, Minnesota:
- Time: 11 am – 1 pm
- Location: State Capitol, 75 Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, St.Paul, MN 55155
- What: The strike this week is to pressure and urge elected officials to take action and stand on the side of the youth. All of the voices in changes being implemented matter but are not being heard.
- Time: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm
- Location: The Lincoln Memorial
- What: We will be protesting the systems of oppression in the Climate Crisis. We are protesting at the Lincoln Memorial because the monuments will be destroyed in rising sea levels.
More information about Earth Uprising is available on our website.