Planet Earth, July 25, 2019: The fifth week of our #ClimateStrikeSummer has arrived, and this week we will be striking against the plastic crisis education and its failure to address the climate crisis. This week’s strikes demand our educational systems and structures provide critical climate education and divest from the fossil fuel industry. Students are demanding more climate justice education in their schools, yet many lawmakers continue to push back on allowing climate education in classrooms. Furthermore, many colleges and universities continue to make investments in fossil fuels, thereby contributing to the worsening effects of climate change.
This strike is a part of week five of eight of the #ClimateStrikeSummer campaign and will demonstrate that the youth are demanding system change, NOT climate change, from the greatest contributors to the climate crisis in modern society.
Here is WHO we will be striking against, WHEN we will be doing it, and WHERE are doing it. We only included a list of some of the strikes this Friday; this is NOT a comprehensive list. The list is ordered alphabetically by city, and times are listed in the cities’ respective time zones. We will update this if new strikes get added:
- When: 12:30 PM – 2:30 PM
- Where: Tercentenary Theatre, Harvard Yard
- Why: Earth Uprising Boston is partnering with Harvard Climate Rally for this week’s strike against education. We demand schools to dedicate more time to educate their students on the climate crisis.
- Time: 1 pm to 3 pm
- Location: Chicago City Hall (Next to main door – 121 N LaSalle St, Chicago, IL 60602)
- What: Join us for Chicago’s second strike in #ClimateStrikeSummer! We are demanding that our educational systems and structures provide critical climate education and divest from the fossil fuel industry. We will also be demanding that the Chicago City Council and Mayor declare a Climate Emergency. Bring a friend and a sign. We hope to see you there!
New York City, New York:
- Time: 9 am – 11 am
- Location: In Front ofUN Headquarters
- What: Join our founder, Alexandria Villaseñor, and New York youth as they strike in front of the UN every week against the lack of enough climate action being taken by the UN and its member countries.
Greenville, North Carolina:
- Time: 9 AM – 10 AM
- Location: Greenville City Hall
- What: This week the youth of Greenville will be striking in solidarity with youth around the world with Climate Strike Summer and Earth Uprising against the degrading impacts of the plastic crisis.
More information about Earth Uprising is available on our website.