Planet Earth, June 20, 2019: For 8 weeks this summer, beginning next Friday, June 28th and continuing every Friday until August 16th, #FridaysforFuture movement strikers will be targeting their weekly Friday climate strikes towards 8 different sectors of society requiring deep transformation to address the climate crisis.
This campaign, sponsored by the global, youth-led organization, Earth Uprising International founded by 14-year-old climate activist Alexandria Villaseñor, will demonstrate that the youth are demanding system change, NOT climate change, from the greatest contributors to the climate crisis in modern society.
Here is WHO we will be striking against, and WHEN we will be doing it:
- Friday, June 28, 2019: We will strike the media and demand they cover climate NOW! Some major media outlets have been complacent, irresponsible and downright dangerous with their lack of appropriate media coverage.
- Friday, July 5, 2019: We will strike corporations and industries, such as fast fashion and transportation, and demand they stop polluting our environment with their emissions and waste.
- Friday, July 12, 2019: We will strike in solidarity with the youth-led ZERO HOUR MOVEMENT as they hold their International Youth Climate Summit in Miami, Florida. We will call out the systems of oppression that enabled the climate crisis.
- Friday, July 19, 2019: We will strike the plastic pollution industries that are significantly contributing to the climate crisis through their emissions and waste. We are angry that 60% of ocean debris is now plastic.
- Friday, July 26, 2019: We will strike the educational institutions that won’t divest their endowments or teach appropriate climate change education.
- Friday, August 2, 2019: We will strike the politicians who deny climate change or do not have a comprehensive climate agenda. This strike directly follows the Democratic Presidential Debate in Detroit, MI, so we will know who they are.
- Friday, August 9, 2019: We will strike the banks and financial companies that fund the fossil fuel industry and promote devastating wealth inequality.
- Friday, August 16, 2019: We will strike the entire fossil fuel industry, for digging up what should be kept in the ground, and for concealing the planetary impacts of their actions for so long.
Each week, Earth Uprising will be sending you a press release with a list and map of these strikes. (hint: For the 6/28 media strike, New York City youth will strike FOX NEWS at 2 p.m., for their irresponsible and deadly climate denial rhetoric).
#FridaysforFuture is the global movement sparked by Greta Thunberg. More information can be found at www.FridaysforFuture.org.
More information about Earth Uprising is available on our website.